We get a lot of questions about crawling. We will address some of the most common here!
My child just crawls around on their belly, how can I help them?
- Check out our recent post on tips to get your little one crawling for lots of ideas!
My child keeps one leg up or scoots on their bottom.
- See all the ideas for the question above in the linked blog post
- We also love side sitting. This helps with core strength and hip strength. I would recommend practicing with them side sitting to both sides but definitely put the leg that is up in front!
- Use tunnels! This is a fun activity for kids especially if you put a favorite toy on the other end. You can even make it a little more challenging by putting the tunnel on cushions!
My child collapses when they move their arms or their legs.
- This is common as they are starting out. They will do some interesting little hitches to get where they are going. Put something really motivating in front of them. We used the ipad for facetime a lot and this did the trick!
- Work on the ideas in the first question
- Work on reaching on hands and knees
- Have toys of varied heights around so they have to get up to play with them and will push up on their arms more
My child gets on hands and knees but won’t move.
- See all the ideas listed above in the previous questions!
- And, you can place their hands on a support surface and move that slowly forward to help them to move their knees! Sort of like a walking toy but for crawling. The lower the toy or surface the more it imitates crawling.
Hopefully these ideas help you out but if you are stuck and need more support ask us about our 6 week crawling program we have!