Your little one may be moving around on their belly or they may be only wanting to stand. What are some ways you can help them to crawl?
Tummy time is always the important precursor for most movement so I figured I would just throw it in here so you didn’t think we had forgotten about it
If your little one is already moving around on their belly and you want them to get up onto hands and knees you can try these activities:
- Crawling over legs or pillows or other obstacles. When they are given an obstacle it’s harder to stay on their belly so they have to lift up some to clear the obstacle. It starts to introduce slowing down some and getting the belly of the ground.
- Play in kneeling! This will strengthen the trunk as well as get the hands weight bearing and them used to being on their knees. The lower the support for the hands the closer it is to crawling position, the higher off the ground the easier it might be for them. Just try different heights. You can also move the support along and have them move their knees!
- Have toys of different heights around for them to be reaching for! Get things off the ground!
- Crawl up stairs. If you don’t have stairs, try making some!
- Make a baby obstacle course!
- Crawl on softer surfaces like couch cushions or a big pile of pillows!
Check out this video as well!
If your little one is struggling with crawling reach out to us to find out how our 6 week gross motor programs may help!