The BOSU is one of our favorite pieces of equipment. Check out these core stabilization exercises!
- Start by balancing on hands and knees on dome side.
- Reach forward with one arm. Too easy?
- While reaching with one arm, extend the opposite leg backwards and balance. How many seconds can you hold it?
- Now switch your arms and legs. Is one side easier than the other?
- Start with your hands on the dome and your feet on the floor.
- Your hips should be high in the air so you look like a mountain.
- Sometimes you’ll feel a good stretch down the back of your legs.
- Once you can hold that position, try lifting up one leg so that your foot points towards the ceiling.
- Now switch and try lifting the other leg.
- Try not to let your body twist and turn.
Planks (Dome Side Up)
- Here’s a few different plank variations you can try. How long can you hold them? 10 seconds? 30 seconds?! 60 seconds?!!!
- Hands on:
- Start with hands/ elbows on the dome and feet on the floor.
- You can make it harder by lifting one hand up or reaching forward.
- Feet on:
- Start with feet on the dome and hands/elbows on the floor.
- Lifting a foot up makes this exercise more challenging
- Side plank:
- Start with one hand or elbow on the dome and feet on the floor.
- You can switch things up by putting your feet on the dome and your hand or elbow on the floor.
- Doing dips where you drop your hips to the floor and back up add another level to this exercises.
- Start with feet on the dome and hands on the floor with your stomach up towards the ceiling.
- Try to keep your legs straight and not let your bottom touch the floor.
- Hands on:
Dead bug/ Supine flexion
- Start lying on dome side on back with knees bent and arms extended towards the ceiling.
- Make sure the small of your back is always pressing against the dome.
- Now extend one leg out straight and hold it. Want to add more difficulty?
- While your leg is extended, reach the opposite arm backwards toward the floor and hold.
- Now switch your arms and legs and hold.
- Keep alternating back and forth. Can you do 20 in a row?
- Start lying on your stomach on the dome side.
- Lift your arms and legs off the floor as high as you can and hold it.
- Other variations:
- Lift only your arms up or only your legs.
- You can also try lifting one arm and the opposite leg and alternating back and forth.
- Start by sitting on the dome side with your knees bent up towards your chest. No hands!
- Extend your legs straight and keep your balance and hold.
- Now bend your knees up towards your chest.
- You can place your hands behind your hips to help if needed.
- If you can balance without hands, hold your hands together and try twisting side to side. How many times can you go back and forth?
- Another version:
- Do it with straight legs!
- Start sitting on the dome side with your legs straight and feet up towards the ceiling.
- Can you balance without your hands?
- What about trying some mini “flutter” kicks?
- Now lower one leg and hold it. Then switch legs.
- Bonus challenge: lower both legs down and then back up. You will definitely feel those abs working!
Looking for more Core Workout ideas? Check out our Core Strength Cards and our Core Blog Round-Up.