The BOSU is one of our favorite pieces of equipment. Check out these core stabilization exercises!
- Start by balancing on hands and knees on dome side.
- Reach forward with one arm. Too easy?
- While reaching with one arm, extend the opposite leg backwards and balance. How many seconds can you hold it?
- Now switch your arms and legs. Is one side easier than the other?
- Start with your hands on the dome and your feet on the floor.
- Your hips should be high in the air so you look like a mountain.
- Sometimes you’ll feel a good stretch down the back of your legs.
- Once you can hold that position, try lifting up one leg so that your foot points towards the ceiling.
- Now switch and try lifting the other leg.
- Try not to let your body twist and turn.
Planks (Dome Side Up)
- Here’s a few different plank variations you can try. How long can you hold them? 10 seconds? 30 seconds?! 60 seconds?!!!
- Hands on:
- Start with hands/ elbows on the dome and feet on the floor.
- You can make it harder by lifting one hand up or reaching forward.
- Feet on:
- Start with feet on the dome and hands/elbows on the floor.
- Lifting a foot up makes this exercise more challenging
- Side plank:
- Start with one hand or elbow on the dome and feet on the floor.
- You can switch things up by putting your feet on the dome and your hand or elbow on the floor.
- Doing dips where you drop your hips to the floor and back up add another level to this exercises.
- Start with feet on the dome and hands on the floor with your stomach up towards the ceiling.
- Try to keep your legs straight and not let your bottom touch the floor.
- Hands on:
Dead bug/ Supine flexion
- Start lying on dome side on back with knees bent and arms extended towards the ceiling.
- Make sure the small of your back is always pressing against the dome.
- Now extend one leg out straight and hold it. Want to add more difficulty?
- While your leg is extended, reach the opposite arm backwards toward the floor and hold.
- Now switch your arms and legs and hold.
- Keep alternating back and forth. Can you do 20 in a row?
- Start lying on your stomach on the dome side.
- Lift your arms and legs off the floor as high as you can and hold it.
- Other variations:
- Lift only your arms up or only your legs.
- You can also try lifting one arm and the opposite leg and alternating back and forth.
- Start by sitting on the dome side with your knees bent up towards your chest. No hands!
- Extend your legs straight and keep your balance and hold.
- Now bend your knees up towards your chest.
- You can place your hands behind your hips to help if needed.
- If you can balance without hands, hold your hands together and try twisting side to side. How many times can you go back and forth?
- Another version:
- Do it with straight legs!
- Start sitting on the dome side with your legs straight and feet up towards the ceiling.
- Can you balance without your hands?
- What about trying some mini “flutter” kicks?
- Now lower one leg and hold it. Then switch legs.
- Bonus challenge: lower both legs down and then back up. You will definitely feel those abs working!