It’s always amazing how fast the year goes by and how quickly another holiday season is already upon us! With that said, it’s time to start thinking about what gifts we can give to the children in our lives that they are sure to love but that will also encourage practice of motor skills and/or general physical activity.
Here are a couple of ideas to get you moving in the right direction!
- Pewi Ybike Walking Buddy and Ride On Toy: This is great for babies/toddlers in the pre-walking phase as they can work on reciprocal stepping using it as a ride on toy and can also use it as a push toy building balance and control. It’s a little on the pricey side but toddlers will continue to enjoy zooming around on this one way beyond those first steps!
- Teeter Popper: We haven’t had the opportunity to try this one out but this wobble board looks like all kinds of fun. It can promote sitting and standing balance, core stability and provides plenty of sensory feedback since the suction cups on the bottom pop as kids make the board move. Check out the video on amazon through the provided link for a demonstration.
Here are some of our Favorite Toys that can be used to encourage gross motor activity:
- Stomp Rocket
- Laugh and Learn Piggy Bank
- Stacking Cups
- Melissa and Doug Puzzles (musical instruments, shapes, farm animals)
- Feed the Woozle
- Cones and Hurdles
- Stand and Play Parking Garage
- Balance Board
- Monster Feet
- Yoga Ball
- Ring Toss
- Hippity Hop
- Scooter Board
- Activity Table
- Balls of all kinds (o-balls, playground ball, gertie ball)
- Activity Cards