It is a well-known fact that reading and comprehension skills are important for academic success. However, what might not be as well known is that reading out loud to children before they are able to read has many benefits that contribute to a child’s overall development and not just their academic achievements. Benefits of reading to children include:
- Cognitive Development- Understanding and processing the information heard and seen in books helps leads to the development of problem-solving and decision making
- Language and Communication Skills- Being introduced to words that are not used in every day language helps children build their vocabulary and learn how to communicate their needs and different emotions
- Concentration and Attention- Sitting still and focusing on one task helps children develop the ability to focus
- Creativity and Imagination- Exposing children to events and places they have not yet experienced allows them to create and dream of endless possibilities. It also allows them to ask questions and fosters innovation.
- Bonding- Spending time and doing activities together helps strengthen your relationships
- Relaxation- Bedtime stories are a great way to wind down from the day. It can help reduce stress and prepares you to sleep.
By reading to your child, you can help them develop good habits and make reading enjoyable. Try to incorporate reading into your daily routine by reading a book of their choice before bedtime, joining a book club, or building a home library or a cozy reading section. Don’t forget to make it fun!
You can also use reading to incorporate gross motor skills. Try some of these ideas:
- Vary the Positions – sitting, tummy time, sidelying, on the back, standing
- Include Movement – roll to the book, crawl to the book, cruise to the book, walk to the book
- Encourage Reaching – in all of the positions you can have them work on reaching and try to add in cross body reaching or trunk rotation
For a few of our favorite books (we keep adding more to the list) check out our Amazon Store Book List!